Library Assistant I #0243Gadsden County Board of County Commissions
Gadsden County Board of County Commissioners
Library Assistant I
Bill McGill Library (Quincy)
Salary Range $10.15 - $15.23 Hourly
Position Closes: November 26, 2018
A library assistant (or library technician) helps librarians acquire, prepare, and organize materials. They also do other tasks that are needed to run a library. They usually work at desks or computer terminals inside libraries, and work in the library stacks while cataloging or shelving books.
Library assistants typically do the following:
- Loan library materials to patrons and collect returned materials Sort and re-shelve returned books, periodicals, and other materials
- Organize and maintain library materials
- Handle inter-library loans
- Register new patrons and issue library cards
- Answer patrons’ questions and help them find library resources
- Maintain computer databases used to locate library materials
- Help plan and participate in special programs, such as used-book sales and outreach programs
- Library assistants are usually supervised by a librarian.
- Library technicians may have more responsibilities than library assistants, such as administering library programs and overseeing lower-level staff.