Public Intergovernmental Relations OfficerGadsden County Board of County Commissioners
1. Review new and proposed legislation, regulations and mandates for impact on City operations, goals and mission, and lobbies as appropriate, for changes which are beneficial for projects and policies affecting departments Citywide.
2. Consult with legislative staff and legislative committee consultants regarding proposed Federal and State legislative and regulatory changes as to their impact on City programmatic and fiscal activities.
3. Research, author and facilitate the development of City policy positions in order to develop written/verbal responses to proposed legislation.
4. Develop and maintain effective liaisons with public and private legislative representatives including but not limited to State legislators, members of Congress, congressional and State legislative committee, and public interest groups, to encourage a positive line of communication concerning issues impacting the City.
5. Testify before federal, state, county and city legislative committee hearings on behalf of the City as needed.
6. Represent the City at various meetings including but not limited to legislative budget sessions and legislative policy/fiscal committee hearings, and participate in advisory committees to maximize the City’s receipt of funding and maintain local control of grant programs.
7. Represent the City at meetings with other County departments, state and federal agencies, and other public and private agencies, when legislative issues are involved.
8. Inform the City Council and other City departments of responsibility regarding proposed legislation and proposed regulations; coordinate input from these affected groups to ensure consistency and completeness ofresponse to requests for legislative and regulatory comment.
9. Reviews new grant opportunities for benefit to the City. Performs Cost/Benefit analysis, and through effective contact with operating departments, connects departments to potential grant opportunities.
10. Oversees preparation of most City grant applications in coordination with City departments; resolves conflicts regarding grant requirements to maximize successful grant application outcome; balances workload to meet competing deadlines, including reports for grant compliance; maintains records. Negotiates resolution of eligibility and compliance issues.