Utility Ground Worker I
City Of Bushnell
Job Description # 12
Pay Grade 2
$25,300.00 - $41,745.00
DEPARTMENT: Water & Sewer Utilities Department
This is an entry-level labor position for the Utility Department. Apprentice work assisting the water and wastewater departments. This is a "learning preparation classification", and the goal would be to obtain certifications in various aspects of water and wastewater. This is a long-term commitment to study and training.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Requires skilled and manual work in the operation of the utility equipment.
2. Work involves the responsibility for the safe and efficient operation of using the equipment and assisting others.
3. Reads meters.
4. Connects and disconnects various meters and utilities.
5. Assists all departments with new line extensions.
6. Responsible for keeping the equipment in good condition and stocking the proper inventory for equipment.
7. Performs locates for underground utilities.
8. Shall perform other such duties as may be delegated from time to time, including assistance to other departments. (These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job-related marginal duties as required.)
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
Knowledge of materials and their functions in water distribution systems and water & wastewater collection and plants. Ability to read and write. Ability to perform heavy manual labor. Ability to read and service electric and water meters. Ability to drive heavy equipment. Ability to work well as a team member. Ability to follow directions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High School graduate or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma. Some experience in the operation of heavy trucks. (A comparable amount of training, education or experience can be substituted for the minimum qualifications.)
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS OR REGISTRATIONS:
Valid Florida Drivers License and Commercial Drivers License "A" required within six months of hire.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS:
Acceptable eyesight (with or without correction).Acceptable hearing (with or without correction). Heavy (45 pounds and over) lifting and carrying. Reaching, pulling, pushing. Climbing poles, walking, standing, crawling, kneeling, bending, balancing, stooping. Distinguish colors.Smelling.Equipment Operation.
Work inside. Work outside in various weather conditions including inclement weather and rain with: noise, dust, fumes, grease or oils and electrical energy. Slippery surfaces.With and around moving objects or vehicles. (Reasonable accommodations will be made in accordance with existing ADA requirements for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.)