DIRECTOR OF HUMAN RESOURCES
CITY OF BUSHNELL
PAY GRADE 17
$66,590.20 - $109,873.83
A complex administrative professional position providing information, input and recommendations on all employee-related policies, issues and actions. Responsible for all areas of risk management and insurances such as property, general liability, automobile, and worker’s compensation. Responsible for making recommendations for revisions to the City’s personnel policy. Work is performed under the general supervision of the City Manager.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Ensures departments comply with state and federal regulations.
- Responsible for research on personnel issues and reports findings.
- Responsible for the supervision and management of the City’s personnel records and educational programs.
- Directs advertising of job openings, applicant services activities, new employee processes and orientation.
- Directs the development and administration of training programs and the maintenance of training records.
- Administer and execute human resource programs including but not limited to compensation, benefits, and leave; disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management; productivity, recognition, and morale; occupational health and safety; and training and development.
- Attends and participates in employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, and investigations.
- Analyzes trends in compensation and benefits; researches and proposes competitive base and incentive pay programs to ensure the organization attracts and retains top talent.
- Responsible for all payroll functions and related benefits.
- Reviews, adjusts, balances and verifies time sheets and other payroll records for compliance with City policies and ordinances.
- Prepares various financial and budgetary reports related to payroll, benefits, risk management, personnel issues and maintains various related accounts and ledgers.
- Responsible for all retirement reports and files.
- Responsible for processing all worker’s compensation related issues.
- Responsible for processing all risk management issues for the City.
(These essential job functions are+- not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related marginal duties as required.)
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
Ability to handle tense situations while maintaining a professional demeanor.
Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
Proficiency with or the ability to quickly learn the organizations HRIS and talent management systems.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field required.
A minimum of three years of human resource management experience preferred.
(A comparable amount of training, education or experience can be substituted for the minimum qualifications.)
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS OR REGISTRATIONS:
PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP highly desired.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS:
Acceptable eyesight (with or without correction).
Acceptable hearing (with or without correction).
Ability to access file cabinets for filing and retrieval of data.
Ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
Ability to access, input and retrieve information from a computer.
Ability to sit at a desk and view a display screen for extended periods of time.
Works inside in an office environment.
(Reasonable accommodations will be made in accordance with existing ADA requirements for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.)