Press Tech I Entry Level Press Operator
Full Time Press Tech I Entry Level Press Operator with opportunity for advancement and growth. We will train. Mechanical ability is a huge bonus! Perform basic web press operation for our daily & weekly newspapers. Great Benefits! High school diploma required. EOE
- At least 18 years of age
- Knowledge of requirements and safety rules of the Hazardous Communication Program in handling and using pressroom chemicals, helpful.
- Must be able to climb up and down equipment
- Must be able to perform repetitive motion in the forms of bending, kneeling, squatting, reaching and wrist movements as well as standing on concrete surface for long period of time.
- Must be able to lift up to 70+ pounds and push/pull up to 100 pounds
- Hand dexterity is also required and vision that provides quick and accurate movement of materials and quality control as well as accurate color definition
Primary duties relating to press tech 1:
- Use operating manuals to learn new tasks or procedures.
- Be on time reporting to work.
- Make specific effort to improve skills and knowledge.
- Volunteer to help peers.
- Properly use tools for job requirements.
- Adhere to all MSDS requirements.
- Properly dispose of trash and waste.
- Keep area clean, wipe down press and stacker/count-o-veyor.
- Observe press during operation to learn how to identify scumming, web breaks or any other malfunction that can cause a breakdown.
Primary duties relating to count-o-veyor/counter stacker:
- Properly make adjustments to count-o-veyor or counter stacker for all types of publications.
- Properly set up and operate tying machine or strapped.
- Safely operate pallet jack and move palletized products.
- Check page numbers and deliver copies to appropriate areas.
- Properly jog and stack printed products coming off the press.
- Be prepared, have all skid/carts and cardboard ready before the press starts.
Primary duties relating to press set up:
- Attend and pass OSHA required forklift safety class.
- Safely operate clamp truck in handling newsprint rolls in the pressroom.
- Shaft up and place rolls in their proper positions.
- Neatly fill color and black ink fountains.
- Assist in the webbing of the press with an experienced pressman.
- Properly mix fountain solution for press water system.
- Properly operate paper roll rewinder.
- Learn all applicable maintenance, which include but are not limited to:
- Ink fountain cleaning- Water system cleaning
- Cleaning pipe rollers
- Running clean up trays
Become familiar with all safety regulations used in the department and develop safe working habits.